The Q Center Central New York is a safe place for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning youth, their families and allies to gather. Q Center programming seeks to promote equality, celebrate diversity, and create a safer, more accepting and inclusive community for all.
The Q Center CNY offers:
Case management services are available for LGBTQ youth who need assistance with housing, advocacy, medical care, mental health services, transportation, identity documents, and other issues.
Drop in time every week includes opportunities for tutoring, college counseling, the Eddie Future Greatness Award which provides 4 monetary awards a year to college bound Q members, a large LGBTQ library, and the David Bohnett CyberCenter, offering state-of-the-art resources and technology.
We offer weekly and biweekly support groups, such as LGBTQ Youth & Allies (ages 13-17), Steppin’ Out (ages 18-25), TransYouth, TransParent, and Queer Girls, to name a few. We also offer case management services, mental health assessment & affirming mental health referrals to youth and families in need.
Outreach & Education:
Cultural Competency/LGBTQ Sensitivity trainings for agencies and organizations are available free of charge. Additionally, we offer support to local Gay-Straight Alliances in schools
Annual Pride Prom, Q Pride Celebration, trip to Albany, NY to lobby legislators, and several more. These events provide semi-structured socialization time, for youth to connect and realize they are not alone.
The Q Center is funded in part by the NYS Department of Health, Onondaga County Department of Aging & Youth, OnCare, and the United Way of Central New York.
April activities at the Q Center.
Q Center News
- Volunteers are an integral part of Q Center operations - tutoring, mentoring, teaching, and chaperoning at social events.
- To become a volunteer, fill out our application.
835 Hiawatha Blvd West
Syracuse, NY 13204
Q Center Support Group times:
• LGBTQ Youth & Allies (ages 13-17): Tuesdays, Drop in from 2:30-6:00, group from 6:00-8:00
• TransYouth (13-25): 1st and 3rd Wednesdays, 6:30-8:30 p.m.
• TransParent Group: 1st and 3rd Wednesdays, 6:30-8:30 p.m.
• TransSiblings Group: 1st and 3rd Wednesdays, 6:30-8:30 p.m.
• Q Kids, (8-12): 3rd Wednesdays, 6:30-8:30 p.m
• Steppin’ Out (ages 18-25): Drop in 2:30-6:00, Group 6:00-8:00