You Are Not Alone
When parents learn they have a transgender or gender nonconforming child, they often feel confused, anxious and unsure where to turn. The Q Center’s Family Peer Advocacy program is here to help.
Our credentialed Family Peer Advocate is uniquely qualified to work with families based on the Advocate’s own personal experience of parenting a child with similar needs and additional specialized training. The Advocate connects families to the services and supports they need to best help their child and be their greatest advocate.
The Q Center has been working with transgender and gender nonconforming children and their families since 1998.
We have the only Family Peer Advocate in Upstate New York credentialed to work with families of transgender and gender nonconforming children and provide them with education and resources that support the whole family, including:
- Trans-affirming Medical Providers
- Family-centered Counseling services specific to the needs of transgender children/youth and their families
- Legal assistance for name and document changes
- TransYouth Support Groups in Syracuse, Utica and Watertown
- TransParent Support Groups in Syracuse, Utica and Watertown
- Advocacy in schools
For questions, support group times and locations:
The Family Peer Advocacy program is funded in part by the Onondaga County Department of Children & Family Services and the New York State Department of Health.