You Are Not Alone
When parents learn they have a transgender or gender nonconforming child, they often feel confused, anxious, and unsure where to turn. The Q Center’s Family Peer Advocacy program is here to help.
Our credentialed Family Peer Advocate is uniquely qualified to work with families based on the Advocate’s own personal experience of parenting a child with similar needs and additional specialized training. The Advocate connects families to the services and supports they need to best help their child and be their greatest advocate.
The Q Center has been working with transgender and gender-nonconforming children and their families since 1998.
We have the only Family Peer Advocate in Upstate New York credentialed to work with families of transgender and gender-nonconforming children and provide them with education and resources that support the whole family, including:
- Trans-affirming Medical Providers
- Family-centered Counseling services specific to the needs of transgender children/youth and their families
- Legal assistance for name and document changes
- TransYouth Support Groups in Syracuse, Utica, and Watertown
- TransParent Support Groups in Syracuse, Utica, and Watertown
- Advocacy in schools
For questions, support group times and locations:
For providers or individuals, please fill out and return this form for referrals.
The Family Peer Advocacy program is funded in part by the Onondaga County Department of Children & Family Services and the New York State Department of Health.